Plant Science for Gardeners
Essentials for Growing Better Plants
A little plant science grows a long way
Plant Science for Gardeners empowers growers to analyze common problems, find solutions, and make better decisions in the garden for optimal plant health and productivity.
Most gardeners learn by accumulating rules – water once a week, never dry out snowdrop bulbs, prune lilacs after flowering, plant garlic in October—the list is endless.
Rules take years to learn and yet leave you floundering when the unexpected strikes and plants look unhealthy, produce poorly, or die.
There is a better way.
By understanding the basic biology of how plants grow, you can become a thinking gardener with the confidence to problem solve for optimized plant health and productivity. Learn the science and ditch the rules! Coverage includes:
- The biology of roots, stems, leaves, and flowers
- Understanding how plants function as whole organisms
- The role of nutrients and inputs
- Vegetables, flowers, grasses, and trees and shrubs
- Propagation and genetics
- Sidebars that explode common gardening myths
- Tips for evaluating plant problems and finding solutions.
Whether you're a home gardener, micro-farmer, market gardener, or homesteader, this entertaining and accessible guide shortens the learning curve and gives you the knowledge to succeed no matter where you live.